How To Clean Your Home The Safe Way
*This post may contain affiliate links.
It's that time of year again....back to school! And you know what that means....germs. Lots and lots of germs. 40-50 fingers that have been God knows where touching everything your little one touches. Times however many kids you have. I can only imagine. Yuck.
Luckily, I have some solutions to keep your home looking and feeling cleaner than ever. And when I say "clean," I mean CLEAN.
Clean as in, not only does everything look neat and tidy with no spots or messes, but everything I used to clean is chemical free and healthy for all who enter our home :)
Essential Oils are becoming ever more popular these days, being used for things like aromatherapy, remedies and natural medicine, skin and beauty care, spa and relaxation, and cleaning the home.
This week we are featuring a Guest Post by Young Living Independent Distributor, Linda McCarthy. She will enlighten us on the vast array of chemical filled products that we all use every day in our homes, and the ONE thing you can use to replace them ALL!
Yes, it’s true.
We have compiled a list of 10 DIY SAFE & SIMPLE CLEANING RECIPES for you to use in your home and to share with others!
It's all about sharing the love <3
...and living a healthy lifestyle ; )
Hello. My name is Linda McCarthy and I am an oily addict. I'm serious! I use essential oils for everything!!
Everyone's first question: What do I use them for?
The answer: Almost anything!
I use them for beauty products, cleaning products, and to help support my mood and health.
So, do you want to know why you should reduce chemicals when you clean?
In a recent study, 3,000 chemicals were tested that are found in products we use on ourselves and our children every day. Of those, over 800 were found to be toxic.
Believe it or not, these chemicals are banned in other countries.
Here are just a handful of ailments these toxic chemicals may cause:
- Interruption of Hormone Production
- Acute Toxicity
- Biological Mutations
- Skin and Eye Irritations
- Respiratory Issues
- and CANCER
Here are just a few items in your home that contain these chemicals:
- Household Cleaners
- Baby Wash
- Lotions and Creams
- Scented Candles (Related: Queen Bee Blog: Why I Use Wax Melts)
- and air fresheners
So, what can we do?
We educate ourselves.
A helpful tool to have is the Think Dirty App. I encourage you all to download it and start scanning items you are using in your home...I think you may be shocked.! 😮
I am also here to tell you that you have a safer, healthier, alternative:
Thieves contains cinnamon bark, rosemary, clove, lemon, and eucalyptus oils.
I would like to share with you a couple of pictures that have changed the way I view chemical cleaners. I could get the same results (actually better) and use a product that was safe and actually good for me and my family.
My sister was cooking down rhubarb to use in a pie. She unfortunately fell asleep while it was cooking resulting in this.
Did I mention this was one of our mother's favorite pots. She called me in a panic, and I said to her, "don't worry I have an oil for that."
Here are 10 ways that I use Thieves every day to replace the following products:
1) I’ve ditched SOFT SCRUB and use Thieves to clean my tub, shower, kitchen and bathroom sinks. You can add baking soda to make a paste for stubborn stains.
2) I've also ditched WINDEX. I now use a recipe of Thieves Cleaner, Cornstarch, and Witch Hazel.
3) Also to the curb, is the toxic TOILET BOWL CLEANER. You can either put a couple drops of Thieves Oil in the bowl or Thieves Cleaner, let them sit for a bit, and scrub.
4) It has replaced my DISH SOAP. I just dilute Thieves Cleaner with water, sometimes I add a little lemon oil as a grease cutter.
5) No more toxic LAUNDRY DETERGENT in my house... I use a capful of cleaner in my HE washer...
6) or DRYER SHEETS. Wool balls with Thieves Oil and in the dryer.
7) Chemical filled FLOOR CLEANER, nope…Thieves and water that’s all you need.
8) Thieves FOAMING HAND SOAP is perfect to keep by the sink in your bathrooms and kitchen and it will kill bacteria- just not with harmful toxins that are destroying our liver.
9) They even have a Thieves Spray which is great to use on restaurant tables, shopping carts and other dirty surfaces. (Use the Thieves HAND PURIFIER designed specifically for this purpose!)
10) Lastly, have you ever noticed that your tube of toothpaste has a warning on it that if you swallow you should call the Poison Control Center?
LOOK. I promise it's there.
The irony is, we’re putting it in our mouths where we don’t even have to swallow it for it to poison us slowly! Many of these toxins can be absorbed into the bloodstream right through the lining of the cheeks.
Young Living's Thieves TOOTHPASTE gently gets rid of daily buildup and helps combat the effects of unsightly staining. It’s tough on buildup, but its smooth, plant-based formula is gentle on teeth.
I hope that I have provided you with some useful information on how you too can ditch these chemicals in your home and not break the bank in the process.
HERE is a link to my page, where you can read Young Living blog posts, order products, see the opportunities Young Living has to offer or contact me with any questions!
Linda McCarthy, Young Living Independent Distributor
If you become a member you can take advantage of building a thriving business by enjoying extensive networking opportunities, exclusive hands-on experiences and a strong sense of community.
If you don't want to become a member (yet), and you just want to try some of these things to see for yourself what all of the hype is about...CLICK HERE...make sure to check off "Retail Customer" before you click "Continue." This will ensure that you don't have to purchase a YL starter kit, however, you don't get to enjoy all the benefits YL has to offer, including wholesale pricing and free membership for their Essential Rewards Program.
If you have tried one of these recipes or have some before and after pictures to show us, please post away in the comments!
*Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. When you make a purchase through an affiliate link, at no extra cost to you, we may receive a small compensation from the associated company. The opinions expressed here are our own.